Friday, March 31, 2006

"What is Spirituality?"

Last week I faced a tricky question from my colleague. It was, “What is spirituality?” And even as I was preparing to answer, another question bamboozled me: “Is spirituality Mind?”

During my college years, I have heard enough on spirituality. We had had long discussions on the subject, which included hot debates & sometimes even classroom lectures. But this question did make me think.

‘Spiritual’ comes from ‘spirit’, which means something abstract. What is that abstract? It is the state of mind where one sees same energy flowing in everything around him. He believes that the same life-force runs through everyone of us. This knowledge penetrates into every aspect of his life, & he is no more worried about any untoward incident. He treats everything with equanimity. When such a state of mind is reached, life becomes a game. And one enjoys it. Nothing in life remains to be conquered.

Coming back to the situation, I was still pondering over the question. Then, one of my colleagues who had heard the questions put to me, replied to both of us, “What is not Spirituality?”

No comments: